London, England

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Midterms were over and we couldn’t wait to head to London for the first half of our long weekend. Our bags were packed, boarding passes were printing, had the directions to our hostel and I even got out of class ten minutes early to make sure we would have plenty of time to get to the airport and check-in. We took the train to Dusseldorf International airport, got lunch and went to go through the security only to find that we were at the wrong airport! We frantically found information where they told us that we were flying out of Dusseldorf Wesse airport and that it would require us to take a train back to Cologne and then bus to the airport- if that wasn’t bad, we wouldn’t have enough time to do so. That’s where option number two came in, we would have to take a train to Duisberg and then take a pricey taxi to the airport. We finally made it to the airport with thirty minutes to spare, thanks Ryan Air for the heads up on the airport! It was only six o’clock and we’d already traveled by planes, trains and automobiles! We arrived into Stansted airport where we then took a bus into London, then caught the underground to our hostel. We dropped our stuff off, got ready and hit the town! We walked around SoHo and decided on a bar called the Roxy, it was an underground club with great music and drinks. We danced and sang the night away until catching a night bus home.

The next day we woke up and were out the door at 9am, we went to borough market- also known as diagon alley, where they had the best food imaginable. I bought jam as souvenirs but unfortunately airport security took it, it was the best I’ve ever had though and I’m thoroughly disappointed. After browsing all of the interesting and unique foods we went to King’s Cross to visit Platform nine and three-quarters, after that we decided to take the underground to Buckingham Palace for the changing of the guards. That brought out quite the crowd and was very fun to watch; from there we walked through a park and past an arch then ventured to Notting Hill to explore the Portobello Markets. It was a darling area with colored houses, open booths full of antiques and interesting objects. We had a great time just browsing; from there we decided to visit Oxford Street where the famous Top Shop was. Wow, it was huge and had so many trendy clothes. We then went to Harrods where we explored every floor; I particularly liked the food floor! After that we went on a wild goose chase to find a very good pizza place we had been referred to, one problem we hadn’t gotten a heads up that it would be a in shady area. While the pizza was good, walking around definitely made me a little uncomfortable. After dinner we visited West Minster Abbey, Big Ben, the London Eye, walked along South Bank and finally returned to our hostel 12 hours later. We scrambled to get ready and met our new Friday Beatrice to go out for the night, we ended up at a club where we got a table and bottle service. Her and her friend were so nice, we all had a great time chatting and dancing! The girls in the club were dressed to classy and very London-y, it was a fun scene and we all had a great night.

The next day we woke up and went to Camden markets, we had been told that it was one of the liveliest markets but were disappointed to see that they were just opening. We decided to keep moving along and went to the Trafalgar Square, National History Museum and Arc instead. From there we walked to Museum Tate and the Globe theater, after that it was time to go. We had run out of time and didn’t get to see everything we wanted but had a great time while we were there. We took a bus to the airport where we then headed off to Ireland!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s